After your conversation with the King of Red Lions, you'll know what you need to do on Windfall Island: find a sail. It's not a difficult task--just run up to the center of town and find Zunari, the salesman with the outdoor market. He'll offer to sell you an unnamed item for 80 rupees. Buy it, and it turns out to be a sail. If you want, you're done on Windfall Island, and you can continue on to Dragon Roost. But there are a few more things you can do while you're here.
Above the cove where you landed, you'll see a stone tablet and a strange dancing man. He's of no use to you until later in the game. For now, head into the nearby door. Find the switch, and step on it to open the door. You'll release Tingle from prison. He'll give you the Tingle chart, and, if you have a Game Boy Advance hooked up to your GameCube, the Tingle tuner he gives you can now be activated. Freeing Tingle isn't optional--you'll need his help, GBA or not, much later.
In Tingle's cell, find the small hole and crawl in. Make your way to the northwest corner of this maze to find the picto box. If you encounter a rat, you'll need to start over. However, if you have the picto box, finding a rat will make getting out all the easier (just take your first right after grabbing the picto box for a quick exit).
Once you have the picto box, go see Lenzo (his pictography shop is in the center of town). You'll need three pictographs to become his apprentice:
- Take a pictograph of the man in the red suit placing a letter in the mailbox. Get this one from the docks, and make sure the pictograph shows both his whole body and the letter in his hand.
- Go into the cafe above Zunari's shop. Throw a vase at the lone patron, and then snap his picture when he is shaking.
- Stand in the courtyard outside Lenzo's shop and aim at the woman standing alone near the steps. Wait for the man who strolls around town to pass by, and then snap a pictograph as they look at one another. Make sure you get both of their whole bodies in the pictograph.
Once you have taken the three pictographs, Lenzo will ask you for a firefly, which you don't have. You'll have to come back later.
Find the school near Zunari's shop. Talk to the teacher, who will complain about four hooligans in town. They are right outside. Talk to the hat-wearing leader, and they'll challenge you to the pastime of juvenile delinquents everywhere: a game of hide and seek. Find them all, and they'll give you some information. Find them all without entering a building, and they'll give you a piece of heart. Their hiding places are:
- In a tree near the docks. Roll into the tree to knock him down.
- Behind the stone tablet by Tingle's prison.
- On the outcropping by the bomb shop. Sidle across a ledge to find him.
- On a ledge near the town center, above the archway that leads from the docks to town.
When you find them, you'll need to catch them. If you're having trouble keeping up, use the roll attack to gain a little speed. Once you've found all four, they'll tell you that their teacher loves jewelry. Go to the tree by the bomb shop, and roll into it to receive a joy pendant. Take it to the teacher to find out she wants 20 of these. Again, you'll need to come back later.
Enter the windmill and talk to the bored proprietor to play this game, which is just a modified version of the classic Battleship game. If you can sink all the squid in fewer than 24 moves, you'll receive a treasure chart. Win again, and you'll get a piece of heart. Beat the high score of 20 moves, and you'll get another treasure chart.
If you have your GBA connected, activate the Tingle tuner. Go to the mailbox to start the quest, which requires you to find three benches. One is nearby, just past the archway. The next is on the outcropping overlooking the sea near Zunari's shop. The third is in the courtyard. For your trouble, you can find an area marked on your GBA with a few rupees.
There's more to do on Windfall Island, but not at the moment. For now, return to the boat and equip the sail, then head east to Dragon Roost.